Australia’s first Companion Animal Rescue Awards will take place soon and the categories of competition and those judging have been revealed…
National awards program for companion animal rescue
A new awards program for animal rescue in Australia has been launched, to recognise and celebrate the most inspiring examples of rehabilitation and re-homing of companion animals Australia wide.
Companion Animal Rescue Awards Launch
Animal lovers from rescue groups, animal shelters, pet businesses, veterinary industry and the media gathered at the Coal Loader Sustainability Centre in Waverton, Sydney where the awards categories and judges were revealed. The event was hosted by awards founder and pet rescue advocate Cathy Beer of Pets4Life, an independent education resource for cat and dog guardians and those thinking of getting a pet.
Australia has over 900 rescue and animal shelters supported by thousands of volunteers. “I’m excited to launch the Jetpets Rescue Awards 2018 today,” said Cathy. “Companion animal rescue and sheltering have come a long way and it’s time to celebrate their achievements!”
In 2018, Jetpets is the Platinum Rescue Hero and naming Partner. Jetpets Managing Director Sandy Matheson said the Jetpets team are passionate about rescue animals finding loving homes and understand just how much companion animals enrich people’s lives.
“Jetpets are thrilled to be the Platinum sponsor of this year’s inaugural Rescue Awards to support and recognise the great work being done by shelters across the country, and to celebrate our mutual love of animals,” said Sandy.
Companion Animal Rescue Awards Categories
There will be seven award categories, with one winner for each category. Award categories 1 – 6 are for rehoming organisations. Award category 7 is for Aussie pet guardians who have adopted or fostered a pet.
1. Outstanding Rescue Group
2. Outstanding Animal Shelter
Companion Animal Rescue Awards Judges
The judges for award categories 1 – 6 are:
- Nell Thompson, Coordinator for Getting To Zero (G2Z) and committee member of the Australian Institute of Animal Management (AIAM).
- Tim Vasudeva, Director of Corporate Affairs at Animals Australia.
- Vickie Davy, Co-Founder & joint CEO of PetRescue, not for profit organisation that brings thousands of rescue pets face-to-face with thousands of potential adopters every day.
- Dr Anthony Bennett, Veterinarian & Co-star of Lifestyle Channel’s TV series Village Vets.
- Sandy Matheson, Founder & Managing Director of Jetpets, a pet travel company focused on the safety, comfort and welfare of pets.
- Dr Anne Fawcett, Animal Welfare Veterinarian. Dr Anne’s blog is smallanimaltalk.com.
- Dr Michael O’Donoghue, Small animal veterinarian and Co-Founder of ‘People and Pets’, a nationwide grief and pet loss counselling service.
- The judges for Category 7 Award ‘Advocate® People’s Rescue Story’ are representatives from Bayer and Pets4Life. Full bios and photos of the judges can be found at rescueawards.com.au
Pets4Life welcomed renowned animal behaviourist Dr Joanne Righetti of Pet Problems Solved, as the Awards Ambassador.
How to Enter Companion Animal Rescue Awards
Entries open 12pm on July 1 and close midnight on August 31. To enter, visit www.rescueawards.com.au and follow the links.
For updates on the awards program, please visit www.rescueawards.com.au or follow the Rescue Awards on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. #jetpetsrescueawards2018
About Dr Jo Righetti and Pet Problems Solved: Dr Jo Righetti is an animal behaviour consultant, helping people understand pets. Pet Problems Solved gives owners advice on their pets: pet care, pet health and pet behaviour.